Spireites defeated in Wales

John Sheridan's men lost 1-0 away at Wrexham on Saturday.

Chesterfield dropped down to 19th  in the National League after they suffered a 1-0 defeat away at league leaders Wrexham.

A second half header from Akil Wright gave the hosts victory, after the midfielder got on the end of a Luke Young cross.

The Spireites had a number of good opportunities in the match, including a Will Evans header that was cleared off the line.

The loss is only the second that Chesterfield have suffered since John Sheridan began his second regime as manager.

Charlie Carter and Alex Kiwomya were surprise exclusions from the match day squad - both players scored in the 2-0 away win against Barnet on Tuesday night.

The first chance of the game fell to the Spireites when some good work from Marc-Antoine Fortune set up Curtis Weston on the edge of the area. The midfielder’s effort was struck with venom, but flew narrowly over the bar.

Sheridan’s side continued to look the most dangerous and had a couple of chances in quick succession. Fortune stole the ball on the edge of the box and managed to get a shot at goal – his effort was blocked and the resulting corner was missed by everyone.

At the other end, Wrexham’s James Jennings delivered a great ball into the Town penalty area but his cross was met by a strong defensive header from Jerome Binnom-Williams.

The home side had a great chance to take the lead in the 38th minute when Ben Tollitt stole the ball off Josef Yarney and ran through on goal. Shwan Jalal was quick off his line and managed to smother the ball before Tollitt could round him.

A lack of quality in the final third meant the teams went into half time with honours even.

The Dragon’s began the second half on top but Chesterfield remained resilient. Centre halves Yarney and Hollis made a number of important interceptions.

Wrexham took the lead in 61st minute when Wright headed home a brilliant cross from skipper Young. The midfielder was left unmarked and made no mistake with his header.

Town had two chances in quick succession when Ellis Chapman forced a good save from Rob Lainton after the midfielder struck a half volley. The resulting corner was met by Evans, whose header was cleared off the line by substitute Jason Oswell.

Bryan Hughes’ side pushed for a second and nearly had it when Paul Rutherford received the ball on the edge of the Spireites’ area. Luckily, for Town, he fired well over.

Chesterfield pushed for an equaliser but could not break down a strong Wrexham defence.

More from Local Sport

Cover art for Never Gonna Give You Up

On Air

Peak FM Breakfast with Ricky and Becky playing Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up