Victims of domestic abuse are set to get more help and support as Derbyshire County Council secures more than £700,000 in funding for services.
Over the next few years the money will be used to support and expand a number of projects and initiatives to give people additional support and advice.
- Funding two specialist domestic abuse support posts for the Police Victim and Witness Liaison Unit Triage Team – encouraging more people to use specialist services
- Continuing to provide specialist refuge support in the High Peak for young women and girls at risk of exploitation – to help them leave refuge and live independently
- Recruiting specialist community workers to encourage more people from Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) groups to use the service
- Continuing prevention and support work in a refuge in the High Peak for women with complex needs including substance misuse
- Continuing to provide out of hours cover in refuges, including evening and weekend cover, meaning people fleeing abuse can get help when they need it
- Funding an additional post for the Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Support Line to help deal with additional calls from the expanded Triage Team
Derbyshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Carol Hart said this was great news for the county.
She added: “It’s vitally important that victims of domestic abuse know where to turn when they need help.
“This funding will mean that more people in the county can get advice and support from professionals as and when they need it.
“It will enable us to build on the good work we’ve been doing in the county keeping residents safe from harm.”
The funding was jointly applied for by the county council and partners including the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, district and borough councils and a number of voluntary organisations.
Anyone experiencing domestic abuse or who knows someone who might be can call Derbyshire’s free confidential domestic abuse support line on 08000 198 668