.

Derbyshire residents warned to be aware of Carbon Monoxide dangers

Residents in North Derbyshire are becoming more aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, according to the results of a new survey.

Research shows there's been a 24 per cent increase in the number of people with a Carbon Monoxide alarm in our region since 2014, which is the biggest increase in the country.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas with no taste or smell. Yet almost 4 in 10 (38%) surveyed admitted they didn’t have a carbon monoxide alarm at home, or didn’t know if they did or not.

This does show an improvement from 2014 (the last time the survey was conducted), when a staggering 57% of people said they didn’t have, or didn’t know if they had, a CO alarm.

One of the biggest issues around carbon monoxide poisoning is that the symptoms are very similar to those of flu or food poisoning, so it can be difficult to tell whether you or others are exposed to this lethal gas.

When asked if they recognised the symptoms of CO poisoning, less than 6 in 10 (57%) identified nausea, while less than three quarters (74%) ticked dizziness. Both of these figures are down from the 2014 survey, when 66% recognised nausea and 75% knew dizziness were both key symptoms of CO poisoning.

Faulty boilers are often cited as one of the biggest causes of carbon monoxide leaks in residential properties.

Its recommended boilers should be annually checked, yet of those surveyed, as many as one in three (34%) couldn’t confirm they’d had their boiler checked in the last year. Whilst this figure has dropped from 37% in 2014, it clearly shows that more education is needed in this area.

Julie Connelly, who's a nursing lecturer at Liverpool John Moores University, spoke to Peak FM recently about the potential symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: "There's dizziness, nausea, headaches, you can get digestive disturbances, incontinence, you might feel tired all the time."

She also says says even though the symptoms can be mistaken for flu, there's one key difference: "If you get a virus then you bring it home when you pass it to the next person, so everybody develops the symptoms at different times. But if its carbon monoxide, then you all feel ill at the same time."

More from Local

Cover art for Outnumbered

On Air

Max Mallen playing Dermot Kennedy - Outnumbered