.

Investigation concludes after the death of an elderly woman in Derby fire

A fire investigation into the cause of a fatal fire on Mundy Street, Derby has concluded that the most probable cause of the fire was accidental due to smoking materials.

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service was called to attend the property at 10.38 am on Monday 25 March, where tragically a 78 year old woman died as a result of the fire.

One male was also taken to hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service would like to remind people of the following fire safety advice:

  • Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished. Put it out, right out.
  • Never smoke whilst in bed and take extra care when you’re tired. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your
  • cigarette is still burning.
  • Never smoke indoors when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you
  • may be less able to escape. 
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended, they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of material that won’t burn.
  • Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them weekly. Working smoke alarms can give
  • you vital early warning of a fire giving you and your family time to get out, stay out and call 999.

More from Local