We take a look at the Royal romance that has gripped the nation - the Prince and the American actress
How long have Prince Harry and Meghan Markle been in a relationship?
- In late October 2016 it was reported that glamorous actress Meghan, who plays sassy Rachel Zane in legal drama Suits, was dating Prince Harry.
- On November 8, 2016 that Kensington Palace confirmed the pairing with a statement, saying the Prince was worried for her safety.
- On February 2, 2017 the first pictures of Harry and Meghan - who is four years his senior - were spotted hand-in-hand for the first time, while out on a date in London. At the time, pals said actress Meghan had “virtually moved in” to Harry’s cottage at Kensington Palace with the couple having been “inseparable” for weeks.
- On May 6, 2017 Meghan made her first public appearance as royal girlfriend when she proudly watched Prince Harry playing polo in Berkshire.
- On September 25 the pair were pictured together in Toronto as they attended the Invictus Games, Prince Harry's sporting competition for wounded service personnel.
- On October 1, 2017 during the games closing ceremony, the pair were spotted in an embrace and at one point the pair shared a kiss. It came as they sat in the stadium beside Meghan's mum Doria.
- On October 19, 2017 it was reported Harry had taken Meghan to Buckingham Palace for a meal with his grandmother - Her Majesty the Queen.
- On November 14, 2017 speculation grew about Meghan's exit from Suits when a source told Us Weekly her departure would be easier as co-star Patrick J. Adams had also decided it was time to leave. The insider said that Patrick's exit storyline "will make it an easy break for Meghan to leave as well".
- On November 26, 2017 it was reported Palace officials have briefed PM Theresa May on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s "imminent” engagement.
- On November 27, 2017 it was announced that the couple is engaged to be married in Spring 2018.
What have Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said about their relationship?
In September 2017, Meghan gave her first interview about "boyfriend" Prince Harry.
She told Vanity Fair of her: “We’re a couple. We’re in love.
“I’m sure there will be a time when we will have to come forward and present ourselves and have stories to tell — but I hope what people will understand is that this is our time.
“This is for us. It’s part of what makes it so special, that it’s just ours. But we’re happy. Personally, I love a great love story.
“We were very quietly dating for about six months before it became news and I was working during that whole time.
“And the only thing that changed was people’s perception."
Meanwhile Prince Harry has remained tight-lipped over the romance, and hasn't spoken about it publicly at all.
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) 27 November 2017
What have friends and family said about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle?
Following the news of the engagement, Meghan Markle's parents, Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland, wished the couple "a lifetime of happiness."
They released a statement, published by Clarence House, which said: "We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry.
"Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person.
"To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents.
"We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together."
Kirstie Ennis, a former US marine and Paralympic hopeful, let it slip that a wedding was on the cards when quizzed by reporters about attending the ceremony.
In August, a former royal chef suggested Harry will propose to Meghan in the run-up to Christmas.
When did Buckingham Palace announce Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's engagement?
On November 27, it was announced by the Prince of Wales that Prince Harry is engaged to marry Meghan Markle.
In a statement from Prince Charles, it was revealed that Harry proposed earlier in November, and sought and received the blessing of Meghan's parents.
There is speculation that Prince Harry will choose one of Princess Diana's jewels to be turned into an engagement ring for Meghan.
What are Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding plans?
The couple are set to marry in Spring 2018, and it is speculated that the couple are "planning a non-traditional wedding", according to The Daily Star.
It has been announced that they will live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.
Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby reportedly has also given his approval to a church wedding.
Westminster Abbey and St Paul’s Cathedral are the favoured venues for large, set-piece royal weddings.
But Harry is thought to prefer a more intimate venue, possibly St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.
Will Meghan Markle be a princess when she marries Harry?
The American actress will be given a royal title by the Queen, but according to Royal expert Imogen Lloyd Webber, she will not immediately become Princess Meghan because you can’t become royal through marriage.
She told People magazine that as Harry’s title is His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales, her official tag will be Her Royal Highness Princess Henry of Wales.
Harry will be bestowed a Dukedom such as the Duke of Sussex when he ties the knot – much as William became the Duke of Cambridge.
The Duke and Duchess of Clarence and Buckingham are also available – as the line has died out so they are in the Queen’s gift to bestow.